There are several people suffered by ALS, a deficiency disease which causes them immobilization of their body parts, they are not able to move, talk and some people are unable to move even their head. Normally Password authentication is required for several applications like Locking, bank logins etc., Password authentication can also be able to used by Paralyzed people via Mindwave mobile.
Mindwave mobile works on the principle of BCI ( Brain Computer Interface ) which monitors EEG waves from the Brain. It acquires brain signals and translates them into commands that are relayed to output devices that carry out the desired action. It is based on EEG.
EEG –Electroencephalography which monitors the Electrical property of the Brain along the Scalp (Non-invasive). An EEG records brain wave patterns. Small disk (Electrodes) are placed on the scalp, and then send signals to a computer to record the signals to a computer. Electrical activity in the brain makes a recognizable pattern.
This project works under EEG waves to detect eye blink and to process password authentication via eye blink. It is more secure. That it doesn’t show the password on the screen, this project suggests the new way of password authentication for paralyzed people that password of the certain application is preprogrammed by them, and it is succeeded by typing password simply by having eye blinks.
To avoid others to know the selection of passkeys, the voice command is sent through headphones to choose each character. The number of the character is also preprogrammed by users after it reaches the correct number of pass keys it automatically shows whether the password is authenticated or not.
Steps to be followed
- Switch on the Mind wave Mobile
- Now turn on the Bluetooth in the Laptop or Pc
- Pair both the Mind wave mobile (Default key: 0000) and Bluetooth Module HC-05 (Default key: 1234)
Note: It is essential that Thinkgear software should be installed in the Laptop/computer before the process which creates communication between Mindwave mobile and laptop for transfer of packets.
- Open the code “Password_authentication_using_mindwavemobile.m” file using Matlab
- Before Running the program it is essential to change the com port number in the program. After connecting the Mindwave mobile to the laptop Go for Bluetooth Settings -> More Bluetooth option -> COM port tab and observe the com port number which has Direction on “OUTGOING”. It’s the port number which has to be changed in the Program
NOTE: Blink talk folder must contain the additional files that already present in that folder like blink.jpg, Thinkgear.dll ( It is essential for Brain sense to communicate with Laptop)
- Open Command window simultaneously for identification for “when to BLINK” and whether Blink is detected or not
- Wear the Headphone to listen to commands
- Run the code by clicking “f 5”
- Now password authentication window appears as below
- Listen to the commands to select the passkeys
- Each character gets typed by using eye blink
- After it reaches the number of character of the real password, it automatically shows whether this password is authenticated or not
Default password given in the program is: 9999
Number of character: 4
- Mind Wave Mobile
- Laptop or Pc
- Bluetooth dongle, if your pc does not have internal Bluetooth
- Matlab 2013b (32 bit)
Project kit includes
- Source Code – Matlab
This project is the initial step for password authentication, It suggests more new ways for paralyzed people to use password authentication for several applications like account login, password protected systems, password enabled locking systems etc.